Contact Us
A Church for All People
Send E-Mail
Marise Tuttle, Pastor
Join List Group
 
 
Welcome   History  
About Prescott

Prescott Church was founded in 1916 following a series of summer tent revivals at its original site, adjacent to the West Tennessee Normal School (founded 1912), a teachers' college, now The University of Memphis. Originally Southern Baptist, today the congregation affiliates with the American Baptist Churches U.S.A.  Prescott is also a member of the Association of Welcoming & Affirming Baptists and supports the Alliance of Baptists. Prescott maintains a longstanding sister church relationship with Beulah Baptist Church, a predominantly African-American congregation located in Memphis’s Orange Mound community. Though small, Prescott has over the years spoken with a loud prophetic voice, emboldened by the radical example and reconciling spirit of Christ. It has been labeled one of the “Historic Baptist Churches of America.”

From its original 13 members, the church grew to a peak membership of 1,700 in the 1950s as the city grew around it. The original facility was located at Patterson and Mynders, adjacent to the University of Memphis campus. In January 2004 the congregation moved to its present location on Getwell Road.

Use the following links to read more Prescott History:

 
Worship
Education
Fellowship
Outreach

Prescott has over the years spoken with a loud prophetic voice, emboldened by the example and reconciling spirit of Christ.

Message
Structure
News
Resources
Visit Us Download Entire History Article (Microsoft Word format)
 

Prescott Memorial Baptist Church
961 Getwell Road
Memphis TN 38111

Telephone 901.327.8479
FAX 901.324.7802
Send e-mail to pastor
Copyright © 2008 Prescott Memorial Baptist Church
Version 2.0.3 - 28 May 2008 - D. P. Dwiggins
For questions or comments about this site,
send e-mail to webmaster